Skip navigation

Business FAQs

Do I need a business license from the city to open a business?

No, the City of Evansville does not have a business license requirement.  Depending on your business type, you may need licensing from the state or county.  Additional zoning permits with the City may also be neede for more intensive uses.


Can I operate a business out of my own home?

Yes, Evansville encourages entrepreneurship and has seen many successful home based businesses grow and prosper.  


What is a Continual Use Permit and do I need one?

A Conditional Use Permit allows special permission for some business types to operate in the City.  Food establishments and theaters are an example of a business that may need a Conditional Use Permit.


Do I need a sign permit to put up a sign for my business?

Yes, all signs need a sign permit and need to meet the Sign ordinance for size and location.  If your business is in a historic district it will need extra review by the Historic Preservation Committee.

The Common Council of the City of Evansville currently has one (1) Council member seat open in District #1 due to resignation and one (1) Council member seat vacating in District #3 on May 15th, 2020. In an effort to move forward with a full eight (8) member council, it has been determined that the vacant seats will be filled by appointment in accordance with WI State Statutes.

Click Here for More Information